Monday, August 26, 2013

the little things

Do you ever hear something in a sermon that just sits on your heart for a long time? I am blessed to be part of a church with amazing pastors, who deliver even more amazing messages, time after time. 
A few weeks ago, Pastor Kathy was speaking about nurturing children to grow in their Christian faith. While I have taken to heart the whole message, one sentence in particular jumped out for me... 
Little things DO matter, because they make big things possible. 

So I've been thinking about the "little things," especially when we're talking about our little bitties. There are so many opportunities for us to share those moments of "little things" with our children. I'll let you soul search for those opportunities in your household, but I'll share with you a few recent examples from mine... 
When we dropped some change in the Firefighter's boot yesterday, I took the time to explain to my boys how a small amount of money, from lots of people, can be used to make a difference. With some nudging, my oldest was able to apply that thought to giving an offering at church.
While my youngest son and his 3-year old friend studied the cicada I almost stepped on at the park, we talked about all the neat creatures God has made. I then encouraged my son to invite another child he'd been chatting with to come over and watch this unique creature.
My youngest son helped me deliver some apples from our trees to friends who have shared treats with us recently. While we were delivering, we talked about neighbors and friends doing nice things for each other. This afternoon, I have a date with my oldest son to pick more apples for others who might need them.  I'm looking forward to our discussion while we're picking the apples!
I'm sure I've missed tons of opportunities, and I'm sure I will miss more. And yes, it would often be easier and faster to do some of these things without help from my children. But I'm determined to take that extra "little" step, to turn potential "nothings" into "little things," for my kiddos and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment